PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Extremely confused!
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2012, 17:00
  #2 (permalink)  
Genghis the Engineer
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 13,715
(1) No, you'd be regarded as coming from outside the EU.

(2) Look at the individual courses, each one is different. Some provide a bit of training (e.g. Sheffield), some a full PPL (e.g. Brunel), some more:but those tend to be pretty weak courses academically (e.g. Bucks)

(3) These names are just that - what each institution decided to call the course. Look at the actual course content in each case, and to some extent the credibility of the university itself.

(4) It's possible, but those scholarships will almost certainly be from Russian organisations to allow their nationals to study abroad, not available in the UK.

(5) Brunel, Salford, Sheffield, Bucks, Leeds. [The websites are all easy to find www (dot) universityname (dot) ac (dot) uk

(6) Not really in Britain, if you are going to get a real degree, you have time maybe for the PPL and some hours - after that it's the engineering or science degree that will take up all of your time. It is fairly possible to use the long summer vacations to work on your ATPL groundschool, then you can go and do the CPL/IR/ME/MCC courses that add up to the fATPL in the couple of years after graduating. Not a quick, or necessarily cheap, way of doing it - but people have done it.

I would say, a degree is not a particularly clever route into professional flying. If you want a degree, do a degree in a subject that fascinates you. If you want to learn to fly - go and get on with it and start looking for professional pilot jobs.

Mixing the two is just a lot of work and money. Unless for example you go into the military or pursue an unusual career route such as test flying (which is incredibly hard to get into) you'll only use one of the two, so put your money and effort where it really matters to you.

There are institutions in the USA where you can do a rather lightweight "flight science" (or something like that) degree alongside flying training. They're pretty good on the flying side, but pretty weak academically most of them. Look at Embry Riddle as one of the best, or perhaps University of Central Missouri.
Genghis the Engineer is offline