PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Transitioning to Visual
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2012, 15:15
farsouth

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the transcript sevenstrokeroll (and the working link, error 401)

Interesting to see that you are US based and also that the article appears to be about 18 years old. Does it represent the industry "best practice" in the USA today??

I ask because the last 3 UK based employers I have worked for have all had the standard SOP of changing handling pilot at minimums. This seems to work really well for me - either as handling pilot for the approach you fly right down to minimums, the NH pilot says "go-around - nothing seen" and you fly the go-around still on instruments, or as Non handling pilot you can concentrate partly outside (as well as monitoring), and be already in "visual" mode as you take the controls for the landing once you are visual. I have not flown for major fixed-wing operators in UK, but understand it is SOP at many of them - is it now also common in USA?

The comment about "Standard phraseology" is very important - as an example, I recently read an account of an approach somewhere in Africa, poor vis (sandstorm), Handling pilot said "Visual with the runway", air traffic almost simultaneously asked were they visual ? , Non handling pilot said yes, they eventually realised that neither pilot was visual and got as low as 125ft on the missed approach. (This was a non-precision approach that had started its descent at the wrong place due to an incorrect Navaid position in the database) What had happened was the Handling Pilot had really been asking " Are YOU visual with the runway??", but the NHP took it to mean "I AM visual with the runway"

Last edited by farsouth; 3rd Sep 2012 at 15:19. Reason: Added information about non-precision approach