PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBC fighter pilot series from the 80s
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2012, 13:37
BEagle

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts
And not just a hissy fit over the sauce bottle but the chips as well!! All students back in the Mess in double quick time after episode 8!!
Having lived out for 3 years whilst at Sunny Scampton, I thought nothing of submitting an application to live out when I found somewhere to live near Wattisham after I joined 56(F). Although I was approaching the age of 31, 'Buzzy' told me that the squadron didn't let people live out until they were operational... "In that case, perhaps I should ask to go back to the more mature world of the V-force" didn't go down too well, but he did at least relent and allow me to move out of the OM....

A few years later, my boss asked my opinion of the 'must live in for the first year' rule which was being mooted. As property prices were booming at the time, I told him it'd be like fining first tourists £5000 as that was the likely increase in the cost of a house they'd be facing, if forced to exist in the Officers Mess for a year. He saw my point and the station Wg Cdrs then convinced the Stn Cdr that such a rule would be totally unreasonable. They won him over and the rule was quietly ignored......

Last edited by BEagle; 3rd Sep 2012 at 13:38.