PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norfolk Island Ditching ATSB Report - ?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2012, 12:08
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GADRIVR

I am as critical of CASA as the next guy, the oversight, the company, the lack of sleep, the bad planning, the conflicting weather, and everything in-between is just not kosha with most people who read this stuff.

I see your point about Dominic being the soft target, and yeah I feel for the guy, but at the beginning of the day, he had the ability to pull the pin. And should have.

PelAir should have had all his planning done for him, just like a good supportive company operating into these places should do. But clearly the did not.

Back of a beer coaster planning is fine for Mudgee to Dubbo, but not across the oceans of the south pacific. No way!

At several points, the lack of sleep. The lack of wx and planning. The fuelling choices. The wether reports and conflicts, all should have been triggers something does not add up.

Three strikes you are OUT principle applies when bush flying, local flying and when the company, the systems etc are letting you down, the 3-strikes rule could well save the day.

I understand, the circumstances all conspired against him, but what he did with them was poor, and you could easily blame fatigue etc, but he himself did not believe that was a factor. There were options, and 4 corners did not explore them at all.

Hate to say it, but criticising JMAC over his comment is a bit lame.

As T28D has pointed out there are other choices that are more runway aligned, and none used. The ones tried are nowhere near the runway, and were futile really.

One thing is for sure, I bet Dominic never makes that mistake again!