PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - coolest Atc instruction ever
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2012, 07:22
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I operate from Rotterdam so we regularly mix with 737s and similar stuff.

One day I was waiting at an intersection for departure for an aerobatics sortie. A whole stream of all sorts of CAT was coming in so I could not get away. Behind me I heard a 737 get his departure clearance, get startup clearance, get taxi clearance and he eventually taxied behind me to the hold and reported ready for departure.

The last of the CAT finally came through and the 737 was told to line up and wait. "Oh, no" I though. "He first, an intersection departure so I need to wait another three minutes for wake turbulence before I can go.". But as soon as that last CAT passed my position I was told to line up and wait as well. ATC: "Transavia 1234, be advised a light aircraft will depart ahead of you". "Yeah, we thought as much" was the very grumpy response.

Got my take-off clearance and a departure clearance "immediate right turnout direct Oud Beijerland". Took off, and when my wheels were no more than 3 feet off the ground the Transavia also got his take-off clearance. So I put in 45 degrees bank, and zoomed over the platform at maybe 100 feet. The only thing I forgot was to put the call "caution my wake turbulence" in.

We've got a great bunch of controllers at Rotterdam. Something like this is fairly common: "PH-ABC you are cleared to land. Make a short circuit, expedite vacating, there's a 737 4 miles out on the ILS."