PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MMMmmmiles Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2003, 21:46
atb1943

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aerohack

I recall see ZS-CNL at Biggin Hill in those days, and 'RIE later. Sorry to hear it is no more.

The Zaunkoenig ex 'LUA you reported on at ILA, plus no doubt its sister, I saw at various places, the first time however at Kidlington, when it belonged to P.J. Sullivan or O'Sullivan, perhaps the person who took it to Ireland prior to its returning to its place of birth. My friend Tommy Thompson, who sent me the Spiteful details, flew it at Farnborough (at least, I think he said he did). We met at the RAFA show in 2001, and he recalled landing at Shoreham in a Blenheim, so that the commander could visit a lady-friend there. Tommy and John Cunningham went back a long way, all the way up to Tridents for China. I read the recent book on JC, and found the end very rushed, as though the author has run out of material. Pity.

Tommy was at Supermarine's, and told the story of having to ferry the entry tickets for the postwar show to Heston. He could do nothing other than sit on them, with his head out of the Seafire's cockpit!

In case it is of interest, Grumman Widgeon N444M is well, it was moved to the USA to enable its owner to water it occasionally. He was getting rather frustrated here. He told me that his mother may have been the reason for banner-towing to have been banned (bannered?) when it was. His mother was friendly with Duncan Sandys, and was one day startled by a low tow-er. Perhaps she jokingly said, Duncan, can't you put a stop to it, which apparently he did. Mike had a Messenger in his collection, didn't he?

Your tale of being chased by Viv at Eastleigh parallels mine of being barked at by Eric Thurston's dog whilst wandering round the E.P.9 production at Stapleford. I had travelled by train and tube to Theydon Bois, and recall the conductor's mirth when I pronounced it 'bwa' in my best French. Believe Eric is still instructing at over 80.