PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where can I find a DA42 Flight School in Europe for an IR Renewal?
Old 2nd Sep 2012, 20:57
FlyingStone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madlandrover
Also, why limit yourself to a DA42 sim? The IR is a transferable skill, it should not be limited to one specific type, airfield, set of routes, etc. A scan is a scan, and ADF tracking remains ADF tracking no matter what the airframe.
While I agree with you that one should be able to pass an IR proficiency check on any suitably equipped aircraft, an ADF tracking in steam cockpit really can't be compared to ADF tracking with G1000, where the dual-GPS setup supplies you with the track information (= a magenta diamond shows your current track) on the combined EHSI/RMI I wonder how transition from G1000 to "true" steam (DG + RBI) would look for somebody who did his initial IR on DA42

Personally, if I had to revalidate my IR, I'd find the cheapest FNPT available and do it there. Or if it had to be on the aircraft, I'd find the cheapest aircraft available. Even with different instrument layout, it takes about 2 minutes to adjust your scan cycle - if you know how to fly on the instruments well.