PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To upgrade or not to upgrade?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2012, 14:55
AdamFrisch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Tecnam is a very interesting little aircraft and I'm rooting for it to do well. I did a spreadsheet comparison between my 520 and the Tecnam, and it kind of makes financial sense around 150hrs/year. But it's also closer to $500K to buy, almost all of which has to be financed. I'm a freelancer with irregular incomes and not a banker, so I'm normally not very popular with finance institutes. I could barely get a mortgage for the house, so I doubt they'd give me a plane. But counting operating costs, and especially if you have access to Mogas, the Tecnam is hard to beat. Single engine costs on a twin.

However - one major drawback for me is its limited range. 600nm just isn't long enough. Here's what I've learned after a few long tours: great range will save you more time than high speed. Because descending, stopping for fuel, climbing back up again, well, you lose 1hr each time, no matter what. I've never managed to refuel quicker than that with all the taxi, clearance, toilet breaks and runups. Going direct slower for longer, beats high speed with a fuel stop anytime. Anything less than 1000nm is a compromise, I think. The 520 has about 700-800nm range in realistic conditions. On my trip to Chicago last year, I think we stopped 4 times. That's 4hrs lost not counting anything else. Granted, the purpose of that flight wasn't to get there in the shortest possible time, not at all, but still. But the day will come when one just needs to get there.

Yeah, the Aerostar is about $30-50K to keep running per year, depending on how you count, which model you chose etc, according to many of the members at the Aerostar forum. I asked the question. That's a lot of money, but in these figures they account for engine funds etc. My 520 cost me $35K first year to get up to speed. That was without putting anything aside for engine O/H's! Now, she hasn't cost me a fraction of that this year, so the operating costs have come down. But will they stay there? Probably not as she ages and needs upgrades. Well, this is basically the crux and what I need to figure out...

Somebody forgot to tell the Aussies that Aerostars should only be operated from baby smooth long tarmac:

Last edited by AdamFrisch; 17th Apr 2013 at 21:36.