PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash Witering Woods sometime 1950s/60s
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2012, 11:57
tyne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Old Duffer, thanks for your reply.

I was born in 1970, and visited my aunt and uncle in Wittering up to the age of 9, when they moved to Stamford.

The house was on Church Road - I think it may have been called Church Lane at the time. From memory the back of the house faced West and you could see woods in the distance beyond a near row of houses. I recall at "V" sort of break in trees which is what I was told was a crash site.

Bearing in mind, by family had lived in the house since I guess the late 1940s, it could have been any time then. I am fairly sure the aircraft was a jet, and recall my uncle showing me a picture of a similar aircraft in one of his books. The impression I got was that the crash happened before i was born but after the war.

Sadly I am not in close touch with my uncle's Son's so can't easily get more information. I do however remember my cousin (He was born in 1950) telling me of some sort of crash in the area during the late 50's where there was some sort of big panic. They were given a talk at school about the crash and told not to touch any debris or anything they found on the ground in the area and to go straight to the police, or someone in the RAF.

This may be a completely unrelated incident, but by the level of security displayed, the incident my cousin describes suggests an aircraft carrying something sensitive may have gone in somewhere near the village.

Sorry I can't be more specific. There must have been many sad and tragic accidents at or near Wittering over the years.

*I met a chap who later lost his life there in a Harrier about 10 years ago.