PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MMMmmmiles Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2003, 17:14
Hairyplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Droolin'

Hi Aerohack,

I think you need a flight in the Magister or the Falcon! EMail me to arrange.

I am so keen to acquire a Hawk Major. A replica would be nice but - well nothing like a rebuild (even though a flier would probably incorporate a lot of new wood).

Most of the drawings eh?

Wow!

I would love a set of those - I mean, what could I do to obtain a set? Can you make it happen? What exactly does he have?

A good insurance policy against the unlikely event of ever acquiring an original plane.

If Ken Ellis (died- in- the- wool Miles Nut and bl@@dy nice bloke too!) thought that the Falcon was pretty - he will have palpitations at a Hawk. Grab a copy of Feb03 FlyPast pronto if you like Miles planes. Join The Miles Collection too.

A replica Hawk shouldn't present too many challenges - all pretty simple if the Maggie is anything to go by.

It is also less complex - manual flaps for example on the earlier ones as opposed to the vacuum-operated flaps on the later machines.

ANY LEADS ON A HAWK GREATLY APPRECIATED PLEASE!!

Anybody know where there might be a set of Maggie wings? There is a fuselage for sale (for too much money I regret...)

Gemini - A DH-powered Gemini project - a very complete machine - is owned by Tim Moore of SkySport. It could be had for not much money I believe provided it was staying in the UK.

If you want a really good flier - Guy Valvekens in Belgium has his Gemini up for sale. A comprehensive rebuild for sale at a fraction of what it must have cost.

I don't know of any other Miles Aircraft for sale worldwide at the moment - maybe a Messenger in Oz...

M28 Mercury - Hans Kolby Hansen - good old boy and dear friend of mine - has the worlds only surviving M28 (a bit like a Messenger but with shorter wings, no central fin and retractable gear). A real speed machine in its day.

I had a letter yesterday from a bloke in Switzerland enclosing some 50's photos of his mates M28 (ex-G-AJFE), with a 'where is it now?request. Stuffed is the answer although I believe they walked away from it....

Hans' machine is in a museum in Stauning Denmark at the moment but he will bring it here soon.

I flew it with him to Denmark for a CofA a couple of years back. Great machine.

Great thread, wonderful anecdotes.

Please keep it coming, speak to ex-Miles people who you know and get their stories from them.

We need photos, photos and more photos for posterity - maybe for inclusion in the forthcoming definitive history of Miles.

Saw the 2 Maggies in formation at OW on Airshow World 2001 on Discovery Wings last night. I am working on getting the Breighton Maggie (or rather somebody up there is!) down to OW for a 3-ship.

Wouldn't that be great?

Tea time - speak to you all again!

I'll come back on tomorrow if I get time and post a copy of a letter in response to an EMail that asked me 2 questions - 1. why shouldn't you sideslip the Mag? and 2. why is it sometimes flown from the front? We always flew them from the rear.

HP.