PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 10
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2012, 19:40
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK465, I can't speak to the method used to bring about the UAS event. The FPV was available during the descent as, (I believe) one ADR was reinstated.

We just had chalk and a board for the DC8 plus some stuff from the maintenance manuals and other sources. The later CBTs were initially pretty dry but they got better. Like you I prefer understanding what I'm doing in my aircraft. I prefer nuts-and-bolts (or bits and bytes) just because it's fun.

If the simulator experience is to be believed then for whatever technical or aerodynamic reasons it demonstrated that the aircraft was recoverable with full ND stick held in until the stall warning ceased. Secondary accelerated stall was not a problem in the pull-out. "Why?" again in technical and aerodynamic terms , is an excellent question which is why contributions on this topic are such excellent reading. O.G. has previously offered varying recovery scenarios and the numbers for the higher-altitude recovery weren't that different from what we observed. We never tried recoveries below about FL300 and when I get a chance I'm going to try them.

Last edited by PJ2; 1st Sep 2012 at 19:49.