PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 10
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2012, 17:27
Owain Glyndwr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@OK 465

With gains fixed for 330 knots, can you get FULL nose down elevator in a developed stall?
Sure - why not? The gains, as I tried to explain, relate to the transient response characteristics; that is to say to the first 3 or 4 seconds of any manoeuvre. If the elevator deflection is not enough to satisfy the pilot's demand the system goes on winding in elevator until the demand is met. The 'gains' are irrelevant in that context. At the speeds involved in a developed stall there would be no hinge moment restriction on control deflection or rate of movement.

How would stall recovery characteristics be affected with fixed gains versus active gains?
Not at all - it is the steady state conditions that will dictate stall recovery not the entry transient.

I would think that full nose down elevator at 330 knots would provide for quite a bit more than -1G.
So it would, but (a) the aircraft was not at 330 kts - more like 155 kts and (b) you have to allow for the deflected THS opposing the down elevator.

With the load factor protection in effect, and fixed gains, wouldn't this limit the amount of elevator deflection for a full ND SS input at any actual speed?
No, it is the other way around. One can look at it several ways, but if you go back to the graph of AoA vs equivalent elevator angle that I posted way back you will find that with 13 deg NU THS (-19.5 deg equivalent elevator) and full ND elevator (+15 deg) giving an equivalent -4.5 (NU) elevator deflection, the aircraft would settle out at about 4 or 5 deg AoA. At the speed then in existence the 1g AoA would have been about 10~12 deg I think, so the best one can hope for until the THS starts to move back down is around 0.5g (ish). Difficult to say when negative load factor protection would have kicked in because the THS movement and general speed increase go together.

With full forward SS at 330 knots you get about 1/4 ND elevator deflection.
Where does this come from please?