PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - crappy situation, advise needed A320
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2012, 15:48
sudden Winds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Framer,

I knew this "crew responsibility" thing would come eventually.

In the situation described, ATC seemed to be knowing what they were doing. I am not suggesting letting them flying you into a volcano, what I am saying is that you cannot always discredit their instructions and think that they are a bunch of clueless public employees sitting behind a video game. If they want you to slow down, there is a reason for that, that is their first priority, now...if that leaves you a bit high you can always inform them before your excess altitude becomes a problem. Keep in mind that whatever you do to lose that altitude will need to be coordinated with them, unless you just lose it by increasing rod without increasing speed.

Trust me, itīs not always that bad an idea to let them do their job, while monitoring what they are doing for safety and logic.

Hope I made myself clear(er).

A few months ago someone posted a comment asking who determined runway in use and approach to be flown. I said that ATC will normally inform of a rwy and app in use, based on winds, wx conditions, NOTAMS, etc and it was up to PIC to make sure rwy and app were ok for the airplane. Well, my english must be terrible because I received a pvt message saying that I was wrong, that it was my responsibility bla bla blah. Well, offreakingcourse itīs my responsibility!!! the minute I step inside the airplane I am responsible, I simply canīt just tell everyone else how to do their job. Oh well...never mind.

Last edited by sudden Winds; 1st Sep 2012 at 15:56.