PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Expect an ILS approach"?
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2012, 12:38
Uplinker

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts
Some interesting points.

Spitoon:
Yeees, but you are being slightly mischievous to make your point. We ALWAYS need the latest weather, because the wind might have increased above our crosswind limit - we cannot assume it hasn't. We ALWAYS need the runway in use - we cannot assume it will be the one suggested by the wind - what if the wind is 90 degs off, or light and variable, or calm? Or what if it will be a circling approach to the opposite runway? We ALWAYS need the cloudbase and visibility in case it has gone below our minima - we can't assume it hasn't.

VLD1977:
Interesting post. The problem is, by endlessly repeating things which are valid 90% of the time reduces airtime for other information which cannot be assumed and needs to be known. Your brain surgeon would not need to be reminded to scrub up before every operation would they? I take your point about a lack of confirmation not being confirmation, but as I say, I am asking about the ATIS, not the controllers' responses.

Another example from ATIS, (although I don't think I've heard it in the UK): 'dew point minus zero'. Why say 'minus'??? To me that seems like just wasting airtime. 'Minus 1', yes, but 'minus zero'??? You might respond by saying 'oh come on it doesn't take long to say 'minus', what's the problem?' But when you add up all the little things like this, it starts to get a little cumbersome.

Also RTFQ; Remember, I'm not talking about the controllers confirming that it will be an ILS approach when we speak to them, I'm talking about that information not needing be on the ATIS, UNLESS the approach is uncommon, for example an NDB, or if the Ops vehicle has just driven into the G/S aerial and so the approach is now LOC only. That sort of information we DO need on ATIS.

BarkingMad.
Thanks for your support. I thought I was going mad there myself for a while !

U

Last edited by Uplinker; 2nd Sep 2012 at 01:27.