PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Midwest Beech 1900 crashes into hangar at Charlotte-Douglas
Old 12th Jan 2003, 14:34
Saab340Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A310Driver thanks for your comments on the subject, and I do understand you weren't trying to offend anyone. Like you, this will be my last post on the subject. In response to your comments let me just say the following:

1. The flying public has the right to expect fully qualified pilots who have met the standards the governing agency of the applicable country put forth not grey beards.

2. Your comments while well thought out have no place in a thread about an accident that occurred days and in your first post's case hours before. With no evidence experience played any role you inserted the concept that perhaps the Captain and First Officer were not experienced enough, that perhaps the flying public should expect better, and finally that perhaps all of the above may have something to do with the accident. The friends and family of these people do read these boards and I can only imagine how hurtful these comments could be. Further many nervous flyers, media, and others who are not so informed as you and I also might read this forum and develop ideas about qualifications that aren't true and patently unfair. I suggest in the future if you want to raise a debate about low time pilots please start a new and independent thread from that about a recent crash with no specific cause defined yet.

3. I am a 3500 hour CA with 2700 turbine and 2000 PIC. I have never failed a checkride, I have been challenged with significant emergencies and have found may way through. I am also new enough I know I have to be extra vigilant, go slow, and admit when I don't know the answer or feel uncomfortable with the situation. I have flown with inadequate pilots who were hired at very low time and surprisingly to me I have flown with inadequate pilots who were hired at total times 2 to 3 times the amount I have. Take that as you will.

4. My very last comment will simply be this. I have in this industry met an unbelievable amount of pilots who were hired at very low total time and upgraded with very low total time who when they became "seasoned" look back and say "I can't believe how many pilots are hired so low time and upgraded so early! It's crazy!" I pose to you that this attitude comes not from a sudden realization that they too had upgraded too early years before and were unsafe but rather an elitist tendency many in our career have that also leads to the current RJ vs. turboprop attitudes, and Boeings vs. RJ attitudes we love to fight about so much.

Forums are a place to put thoughts and ideas. I welcome your A310Driver, just in the future put them in their appropriate place outside the world of speculation of a tragedy.

Thanks.