PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEATHROW
Thread: HEATHROW
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2012, 23:38
Fairdealfrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote: "Therefore, it would surely make sense that the new onwers of LGW turn it into a genuine rival hub? It can't be any coincidence that a nice big Emirates A380 is on the front cover, along with a BA aircraft in the background?!"

Airport owners/operators do not create hubs! Hubs are created by "legacy" airlines, who operate a base at an airport and have all (almost all) of their routes start or end there. Crucially, they offer transfer services to pax: through ticketing and baggage handling.

At LGW, BA and VS do this on a limited scale, although most of their business is point to point. U2 have a huge base there, but as a "no frills" carrier, do not offer transfer services to pax.

Under these circumstances LGW's business will remain mainly point to point and its lack of connectivity will ensure that it does not become a hub airport. There is little that GIP can do about it.

Quote: "@ Libertine Winno

I think we are missing some key information at present, in particular :-

1. Within the UK's Climate Change obligations, how much additional runway capacity can be built ?

I've read the CCC's International Aviation & Shipping Review and recognise their importance to the economy.

2. If the government allows runway expansion, how will it be allocated around the country in an attempt to re-balance the economy ?

In particular Birmingham airport, as Manchester has recently built a second runway.

3. In the SE where additional runways can be physically built, how these would fit into their competition policy ?

4. The relationship between runways and night flights and in particular the need to operate 24/7 ?

5. The true passenger potential at Heathrow following a complete transformation of the terminals and stands into a more efficient "Toastrack" ?

I'm trying hard to remain open minded, and follow people's coments with interest."

1. Climate change obligations are now at EU level: emissions trading scheme, etc., so there is now a cap. If there is no expansion at LHR, traffic will go to other EU airports like AMS, CDG, FRA which are under the same arrangements.

2. It/they will be allocated to the airport operating at 99+% capacity. Elsewhere would be pointless.

3. It doesn't in UK terms. In global terms, the competition has already been expanded. LHR competes AMS, CDG, FRA, etc., not with MAN, BHX or LGW.

4. There will always be a night curfew at Heathrow. There is not an overwelming business need for full operations throughout the night. With more longhaul capacity there will be a need for more landings between 0500 and 0600, but these would be split between more rwys. Plenty of capacity for 24 hour operations at other airports for charter/holiday flights, etc..

5. The "toastracking" of LHR terminals is investment costing billions, that level of investment would not take place at an airport that will be closed or downsized within the next 30years (because of Fantasy Island). Would therefore expect that Heathrow expansion is very much on the cards. How long it takes for Cameron to grow a pair will determine the timescale.

Quote: "And Skipness, I know nobody has ever made the transition before, but the requirement has never been as urgent as it is now. EZY have no intention of doing anything other than point to point, so can continue as they are, but I think to rule it out simply on the basis that "well, it didnt work in the 80's" seems like it should be better qualified to me."

Forget it, it's not going to happen!

Quote: "The most significant part of why Munich works as a hub whereas Manchester doesn't is that Munich is in the centre of Europe, with many routes south and east of there into Italy, the Balkans, Eastern Europe, etc, as well as north and west of there, for whom Munich is just as convenient as Frankfurt, and for many transits can be more convenient.

Manchester is, alas, on the periphery of Europe, with virtually no significant destinations in an arc from North to South-West. This is just how the geography is, and the demand isn't there."

That is a very good point! It's geography gives MUC a huge advantage as a hub compared to MAN, or for that matter other peripheral (in terms of Europe) "secondary cities" such as BCN or LYS.

Last edited by Fairdealfrank; 1st Sep 2012 at 01:17.