PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - looking out the window
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2012, 22:47
Big Pistons Forever

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by airpolice
I wonder how many of you guys proclaiming that "Flight Sim is the work of the Devil" have actually seen the latest version.

I've heard instructors say it makes students focus on instruments, but they change their mind when presented with a Flight Sim being run "properly" even on a bog standard PC.

The latest VFR Scenery, particularly for Scotland, is fantastic. There is an option to only display the view out of the windscreen, no instruments, so you need to fly by visual reference.

You should try it, even if only to be able say that you know what you are talking about.
In the context of ab intio instruction I would agree with you if you only used MSFS with an instructor sitting next to you. The reality of course is that never happens and bad habits bred of the fundemental ignorance that every new student brings to the business of learning to fly, will become entrenched.

As an instructor I would much prefer a blank canvas. Personally I forbid my ab initio students from using MSFS.

However for licensed pilots working on their instrument ratings, MSFS does have some real value when practicing instructor assigned instrument procedures.