PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why pilots are paid so much
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2003, 12:50
exeng
Mistrust in Management

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This video clip provides a chilling insight into the A320 family control characteristics (particularly in roll) when operating in ‘normal law’ in limiting crosswinds with significant gusts. This airliner is the only one that has truly frightened me in these conditions, my previous handling experience being limited to B737 and B777 aircraft. (The crosswind limits are of a lower value on Airbus than Boeing)

In my experience the handling of the aircraft bears no resemblance to the experience one finds in the simulator. My company has had several ‘interesting’ approaches with the Bus resulting in contact with Airbus Industrie. Airbus Industrie apparently state that there is nothing wrong with the design of their flight control software and furthermore the ‘interesting’ approaches must be due to poor handling skills on behalf of the Pilot. To be fair to Airbus they did admit to pitch problems sometime back, this after several very hard landing events one of which resulted in serious damage to an aircraft in Bilbao.

Fine, I’m going back to Boeing just as soon as I can. I’ll miss that snazzy little pull out meal tray though!

Regards
Exeng