PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber Command members forced to pay for memorial
Old 31st Aug 2012, 19:56
Chugalug2

Received 227 Likes on 70 Posts
OP:
Nobody ever told them that those 4 individuals have to pay for the maintenance costs. The up keep will cost £500,000, that's £150,000 each. These elderly heroes only have 1 year to come up with the money.
OK, I'll bite. Could we have a link please, because my understanding is as others who have posted, which is that the continuing responsibility for upkeep and maintenance lies with RAFBF:
Air Marshal Sir Robert Wright, RAF Benevolent Fund Controller says:

“We are honoured to take on the guardianship of this Memorial. This means a great deal to the RAF serving personnel and veterans we support every day. Our work and our programme of education and engagement will ensure that the Memorial’s significance continues to be understood by future generations, as part of the debt we owe to members of the Royal Air Force, past and present.”
What is outrageous (in my view) is that a certain amount of the VAT and the cost of security for the unveiling ceremony has been stated by HMG to be the responsibility of the Memorial Campaign. Perhaps this is what you have in mind. If so I believe that a petition calling for both to be met by HMG has been created. Can anyone else confirm and perhaps lead us to it?

Edited to answer my own query. Press outrage pedal to the floor and sign now!:
Remove VAT On The Bomber Command Memorial - e-petitions

Last edited by Chugalug2; 31st Aug 2012 at 20:09. Reason: Added link to epetition