PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Last flight of ETPS Andover XS606
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2012, 16:14
Madbob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NLH

Do you recall a hairy incident / very close call with an Open Skies Andover from Boscombe in about 1991?

A mate of mine from OCTU and BFT (I went METS) he (KW) went to Valley was caught in horrendous and unforecast icing over Norway in severe IMC and worse, with lots of high mountains all around.

The accumulation of ice was so bad that not only were the wings carrying inches of ice on the leading edges, the engine intakes too were getting smaller and with it the thrust. The only solution was to find some warmer air by decending which couldn't be done due to the high terrain and so as K**** couldn't maintain height on max continuous (dry) power he had to use T/O power (max chat but without water, as it been used), this and not just a little help from a switched on Norwegian air trafficker meant that they literally scraped into Bodo.

K**** should have got a Green Endorsement IMHO but instead got a bollicking for trashing two RR Darts - the ac needed a double engine change as the turbines had practically melted. Several weeks later he had the job of doing the air test and flying it back!

I never flew Andovers so I don't know what extra thrust you got from water meth, or how long it lasted but I do know that K**** broke all the rules to save the ac.

Anymore Andover stories out there?

MB

Last edited by Madbob; 31st Aug 2012 at 16:15.