PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Logbook conundrum
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2012, 14:20
jas24zzk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting convo, esp from the veiwpoint of someone that is doing a logbook recreation due water damage.

Lets see if i can provide something positive....

Gliding logbooks.
Whilst it is VH registered, as rmcdonal points out, there is different information being recorded, all of it qualifies as time to certain power tickets.

Power books.

The average seems to be about 1500 hours per book.

Of interest,....

Another one from mcdonal.....
Instructing chews up more lines as you fly with different people each day with a line each, however generally the flying total for the day is low, charter on the other hand could give you big hours for the day in the one aircraft resulting in only 1 line being used.

The first sentence in his statement rings very true., but the second part is actually against the regs.

To explain.
As an instructor....you flew with student A,B, and C, so you need a seperate entry to match the students logbook.
As a charter pilot, you can fly all day and make one entry. WRONG
I am not going to search out the reg for you, because this should have been part of your training.

A flight is defined clearly in the regs (simplifying a lil here) as a take off and landing (a touch and go is not defined as a landing, as you never really stopped flying)
So if you take off in Ballina, land in broken hill,unload/reload, depart for newcastle, unload/reload, depart for tamworth, unload/reload then depart for ballina....you cannot put that as one line.
Each leg is a seperate flight and your logbook must reflect it.

I.e.
Ballina to Broken hill. 1 line
Broken hill to newscastle. 1 line
etc

Its a fast way to eat up a log book, but it is what the regs say must be done.

The authority tolerates single entries in the training situation, where you might do YLIL -YMEN (landing) -YMMB (landing)-YLIL (shutdown), on the premise that it was not a full shut down until you returned to your departure point. My understanding of the regs, is that if you shut down at any of the intermediates for a discussion, it becomes end flight and a new entry made.

Those funny sticker things
I have seen guys getting them stuck in their 3rd and 4th logbooks.
Personally, I want to see them stuck in my first book, with all the others.
If you run out of space you can add pages for more of them. My own original logbook had no space for the stickers, and CASA sold me the pages to paste in. On that premise I see no reason you cannot add pages if required. Keep them stickies together.....
and i hate the stickies! coz they never match your printed licence!

Electronic log books.

Handier than a sharp axe.

Catastophic log book loss.................you have a record...esp if you know about backing stuff up off site..

Log book totaling. the numbers are there for you...noi adding it up 5 times.

Personally i use logbook pro.

Enjoy
Jas