PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - crappy situation, advise needed A320
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2012, 12:41
Airmen25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did a few observation flights already, infact, i requested extra observation flights and went for more than the original scheduled to the point the scheduler said i needed to town down, i did took down notes, i did radio calls, i did ask questions, i treasured every second i got during those times. It indeed helped me alot when i went for line training, it helped me sort out my paperwork, improved my scan flow, my SOP and much more, however, there is only so much you can get from the observation flights, out of all of it that ive done, most were high speed descents, and there wasn't a situation where i recently encountered, thats the sole reason why i couldn't cope up with the situation, its my first encounter. But like everyone else, im also learning everyday.

Honestly speaking, when i explained about the situation to everyone here, my main point was to explain the scenario as honest as possible and primarily to get information on how to solve the situation regarding being high and slow, and wether it was ok to deploy full speedbrakes with the VLS so near? not to crucify the captain. However, it seems that some people get offended by the scenario i described, and keep talking about the CRM part about it. For me, during that time, after being confused awhile, my mind was back into trying to get the bird down and configuration, also monitoring the traffic ahead on the ND. My mind was focused on the task, not so much about how the captain treated me.

But if people want to keep talking about the captain and making it a hot topic. Heres my take on that, firstly i really wished he would have just gave me a small reassurance to his decision before slamming my hand down the lever, like say "don't worry, its ok, just do it" or "Vls will drop as we decend, do it now", then i would have, no questions asked at that time, no doubts. However, what he did at that spilt second, didn't seem logic to me, therefore i was hesitant, it felt like he was ordering me to walk across a highway with speeding cars going by, if he would just told me "don't worry they will slow down to let you cross, cross now" i would have, what im saying is just an example of how i see it. Maybe it was my fault, not knowing the aircraft systems well enough, but im trying and learning.

As for my personal feelings towards the captain, a part of me is sad, a part of me is dissapointed by the way he trained me and a part of me is also dissapointed with my own ability to handle that situation at that time, but a captain will always be a captain, and i respect that, i will still salute him for his rank, he earned it, but i do not salute him as an individual, not anymore and whoever has a problem with that, im sorry, but thats how i feel and i believe i am entitled to my own personal feelings. As i said also, i try to put that part about the captain behind me, and i believe i have gathered enough info on this matter. Tonight, im heading to the academy with some of my batch mates to study, discuss about issues in flight and to practice the FMGS software. Once again, thank you everyone for their thoughts and opinion, and if possible i would like to put a full stop to this thread.