PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norman Aircraft Company NAC-1
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2012, 10:19
All-The-Nines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Norman Aircraft Company NAC-1

I reently flew in to Bembridge (Isle of Wight) and spotted G-NACA and G-NACI parked next to each other, to my eye they looked identical. I wasn't even sure what they were at first, but upon looking up the registrations when I got home I realised that they are actually quite rare.

According to G-INFO, G-NACA is a NAC-2 Freelance (serial 2001) and G-NACI is a NAC-1 Freelance (serial NAC 001). I've managed to trace the fact that G-NACI was initially G-AXFB, a BN3 Nymph which was De-Registered and re-built as G-NACI according to the CAA register records.

I'm just a bit confused! I understand how the NAC-1 was a continuation of the BN3 Nymph following the demise of Britten-Norman, so what on earth was the NAC-2? I can't find any reference online to the NAC-2. I thought perhaps that the NAC-2 was just a modified NAC-1, but then several sources suggest that only one BN3 was ever built (G-AXFB then re-built as G-NACI). So where does G-NACA come from?

Apologies if that's all a bit unclear, it makes sense in my own head! I'd be grateful if anyone could shed any light. If anyone's interested, I'll post the photos that I took of each aircraft when I'm home tonight.