PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leuchars memories
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2012, 10:08
Courtney Mil

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Ah, Lucklaw hill. Good picture.

Originally Posted by Scruffy Fanny
oh and 43 Squadron had the gun fitted backwards to improve their kill rate
Can't be done. The rear snub fitting will only attach to the pod upper frame support arm one way round and it can't engage with the centre station front lug (which your plan would require) on the aircraft the wrong way round. 111 Sqn already tried it.

Originally Posted by Scruffy Fanny
C-Mil perhaps you can confirm this part of XV436 s demise as I was only a student on 228 at the time
So was I, if you remember. I was just finishing the course. But I do recall that rumour. Staish would probably have been BW around that time.

Originally Posted by mike rondot
Would a Leuchars-based F-4 (43 or 111) in a 2-bag, gun and missile fit ever find itself in the same bit of sky as a Shackleton AEW2
It wasn't a normal fit because when we put the tanks and missiles on, we usually put all the tanks on. QRA fit was three tanks and 8 missiles. We flew with two tanks, missiles and gun on 29 Sqn in the Falklands, but we needed the gun there.

I seem to remember seeing that fit diring generation excercises and I do remember declaring C44+8 on flying excercises and you could only declare the '+' bit if you you actually had a gun onboard.

So, my thought would be that you could see that fit next to 8 Sqn on an exercise, but I can't recall it specifically.

The F4, as you say, looks better with the gun. Beauty is truth, truth beauty.

Courtney