PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight deck positions at FlyDubai Master Thread - Merged
Old 31st Aug 2012, 09:43
Flat Cap

Location: Under a deckchair, Jumeirah Beach, 3 lamppost from the left
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm with you Tolerant Dubai, given a choice between FZ and QR I think I would pick EY.

Once upon a time I was giving a qualified positive about FZ (look back in the this thread), but over the course the last 6mo that has changed and can do so no longer. Do not, I say again, do not join FZ unless you are unable to secure a toilet cleaners job back home.

With the possible exception of the Flight Ops managers that do at least seem to care and want to make the company better, but are blocked and pretty well powerless to implement any sort of meaningful change. Across the board FZ as a company is failing it's flightcrews on a daily basis.

HR seems to go out of its way to undermine demotivate staff by avoiding their responsibilities is there is even half a chance to do so.

Safety and Security are neither safe nor secure. FZ has Bastion, Kandarhar, Kabul, Bagram, Damascus and Aleppo all on its books at the moment. Aircraft have been dispatched into live fire war zones, been on the ground during rocket attacks. Had to depart while areas within 3 miles of the end of one of the runways are being shelled. The only time flights have been cancelled is when airport staff have been unable to pass through the front lines to be able to do the ground handling. On each occasion the threat is assessed as tolerable, and not directly affecting FZ operations. Places that have been considered as future destinations Mosul, Mazar i Sharif, Mogadishu. All the high spots.

You don't get a choice you go there or you resign.

Commercial run the place, they will select destinations and the flight times with complete impunity. Flight too long for that deep night duty period? Don't worry we will just reduce the block times and send you anyway, we know you'll want to get home and use your discretion.

Which brings us nicely to rostering...oh I forgot there isn't any. 5/2 for three and a half months not so uncommon. There are fortunate souls out there that do better, but its pot luck. 18-30 rest periods not unusual. mornings to nights and back to mornings, body clock everywhere, landing at 5:30am on your third deep night on your 6th duty day. All perfectly legal of course.

"Ah!" Say those prospective FO's but what about the quick command. The current FO's were told 12 months, for some it has been 26 already, and still counting. New joiners are told 2yrs, it will be more than that. Unless there is a flood of exiting Capts. which is an might be a possibility as the initial hire guy reach 3yrs. So as long as you get through the process, by no means guaranteed, it is as advanced rocketship 737 you'll be flying, so the NASA Self-Study Command Course and testing program is a vital sifting tool to thin the ranks a bit. Then for added First Officer motivation, and despite it being the declared aim for over 2yrs for it not to happen, after a 2month stoppage DEC recruitment begins again.

I hate to be the harbinger of doom, but if you come you need to come with your eyes wide open, and with a Plan B. Don't get yourself trapped here, if you can help it.

Keep safe when your out there team, your on your own.

F-C

Last edited by Flat Cap; 31st Aug 2012 at 09:48.