PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - skyvector.com with European VFR/IFR
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2012, 04:19
AdamFrisch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great stuff.

I had long been harbouring the idea of developing a simple iPad app with all the VFR airfields in the world. My idea was to scavenge old ONC charts and any VFR charts I could get my hands on and do as comprehensive chart as possible, obviously licensing the actual chart bit and having it be used cautiously as the info wouldn't always be up to date. Most regions don't publish VFR charts - even in Europe they get scarce when you get to the southeastern parts, like Greece, Cyprus, Albania etc. And Africa is more or less non-existent. The 15 year old military ONC charts are pretty much all there is to go by there.

I think if they developed this as an app, they'd sell thousands. Even airliners would buy it as terrain awareness and VFR backup is something they'd want their flight crews to have. In fact, there was a Lufthansa 747 captain who did his own little worldwide VFR charts and obstacle clearance prints that spread like a wildfire amongst airline pilots. They were downloadable from his website. Apparently, he's now retired and don't publish them anymore.

And if they add IFR charts on top of this, then they're on to a home run!