PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - looking out the window
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2012, 04:16
Pugilistic Animus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Try to keep it at about a 90:10 ratio of outside:inside, also use the horizon view at the side...using your instuments a little bit is ok because it will help you to adapt to instrument flying later if you choose but because it's absolutely imperative!!! to keep a constant scan for traffic---and develop that traffic lookout scan you should use the instruments sparingly....just a quick glance at airspeed, altitude, TC] [mainly at this stage the ball], heading, and vertical speed should suffice that's called a partial panel
since you have the horizon the AI wont be that important
I emphasied the 'side horizon' for two reasons

1...Traffic scan
2...if you want to do aerobatics later...

You can also learn to correlate the instrument indications with what you see outside that's important for later instrument flight so you can picture what the plane is doing in the clouds...lots of new pilots have your difficulty too much PSP...

But...

You do not want a midair collision on your first solo...

When I started my lessons we there was so much heavy haze that I actually had to rely on instruments it was really [IMC]...I could see the traffic but not the horizon... it was a big blur especially since we were alway over water ...but that entailed me looking continously up and down and side to side because the practice area was very busy plus people were doing aerobatics and towing banners and sight seeing but at this stage developing a traffic scan is of utmost importance---

In fact even under IFR when in VMC it is still the pilot in command's responsibilty to SEE AND AVOID!!!

One way of thinking that may help, is if you think of it the natural horizon is one huge attitude indicator...
look at this video...

Last edited by Pugilistic Animus; 31st Aug 2012 at 04:27.