PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No cats and flaps ...... back to F35B?
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2012, 04:15
orca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ronald,

Interesting question. So to frame the answer we need to understand who has 20-30 Su-30s and can put them in the sky in a coordinated fashion along with a surpic asset. We also need to know how good their weapons are and whether or not a Type 45 might be able to fend them off.

Ah, you say, but what if the Type 45 isn't there? To which I say, how could that be? And we get back to the basic understanding that a Su-30 vs QE grudge match is not very probable.

I have also tried to raise the point before but why do we always go for the worst case when it comes to carriers but 'broadly representative' when it comes to anything else. Why is it 20 SU-30s against a carrier but no thread about 5 F-22s or 6 PAK-FAs against 2 Typhoon for example?

I think I made the point before in this thread, but until I can be convinced that the RAF (which apparently isn't that bad an air force as air forces go)could even scratch - no wait a minute - find* - a QE class guarded by 2 Type 45 then I tend to pay little attention to the school of thought that they are vulnerable.

* = no MPA for a small island nation is easily the single worst decision ever, although allowing cameras at private parties in Vegas comes close.

I will take criticism from any ASuW/ TASMO (whatever we're calling it this week - haven't got AJP 3.3.3 to hand!) types. I count myself as one incidentally.

Bastardeux.

You have a point. They cost a lot. They don't cost anywhere near as much as other programmes (or bank bail outs) which we conveniently forget about when it comes to having a go at carriers. But there we go. I think however that they are flexible, they will be useful, they will allow us to project power. IMHO we have let ourselves down badly by reverting to F-35B and I do sometimes wonder if they are worth bothering with now, but on balance I think they are.

As for the other debates. I think F-18E/F closely mirror F-35 capabilities. AV-8B does not. MarStrike is MarStrike - so whilst our chaps might be wasting their time gaining hands and feet skills the rest is valid. That being said the aircrew are, as ever, a very small part of this. I think 'flight deck minded' maintainers and yellow shirts could be bred in either the CVN or LPH environment, but it will be an uphill struggle to provide a safe and assured platform either way.

Last edited by orca; 31st Aug 2012 at 04:16.