PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 10
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2012, 03:50
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Which Nz accelerometer

The Nz command I am talking about would be that from a "strapdown" style sensor referenced to the aircraft, not a space-stabilized inertial sensor such as used for navigation and weapon delivery.

The difference between my FBW system of old and that in the 'bus is we did not correct for attitude WRT the Earth coordinate system. Ours was and is still body-oriented for the Nz command. Because the 'bus corrects for attitude, it appears to command an attitude. At small climb or descent angles, it's a small correction. Ours seemed the same when close to cruise attitudes, but we flew at extreme pitch attitudes, so our "one gee" command could help us get into the "deep stall" if we relaxed pressure on the stick when zooming up at 70 or 80 degrees. I don't see this as a factor with AF447.

The point I keep trying to make is that the 'bus appears to command an attitude, but it's a gee/rate command with bias for pitch attitude.

My second point is "hands off" and even at small pitch attitudes like 10 or 15 degrees, that trying to maintain a constant Nz will cause the elevator to trim nose up, and then the THS. Because the 'bus has more drag than our Viper, speed/energy decays quickly, and it is possible to reach a stall AoA even with "hands off" ( as BEA report asserts). With no AoA protections, you're on your own. Holding the stick back for minutes doesn't help at all.

Lastly, the "feel" of non-FBW planes with positive static stability is helpful, as trying to fly slower than the trimmed speed/AoA requires more back stick. Trying to fly faster requires forward stick pressure/movement. OTOH, most FBW systems provide "neutral speed stability" regardless of the AoA, cee gee and/or static stability margins. So we don't get that feedback like in the old days, even with fully hydraulic control valves and no artificial "feel" such as the B777 has.

Pretty good discussion on this aspect of the control laws, way I see it.