PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 10
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2012, 02:33
CONF iture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lonewolf50

Thanks for the analogy you bring forward.
If I get you right, what you describe on the Seahawk helicopter is related to hydraulic issues and other servos malfunctions. An Airbus or any other more conventional aircraft is as much vulnerable to hydraulic issues. A dual HYD failure would trigger alternate law with fewer usable flight control surfaces and to switch straight to direct law for such malfunction is not the purpose of my proposition.

What I am after is everything related to probes and sensors, on which the Airbus is so dependable for its normal operation – This includes the law in force, the THS operation, the protection availability …
It is for that type of malfunctions known as unreliable data, that I would suggest a healthy degradation.

The guys are talking about ALT2, C*, one G command and so on, it is all very much interesting to try to understand what’s happening behind these words, and we all take such opportunity to educate ourselves, but in my book, direct law is the most understandable thing for a pilot who has to act now. For a given displacement of the stick there is a proportional displacement of the elevators. If not gentle enough the load factor will remind the pilot how fast his aircraft still is. If a large stick displacement don’t produce much, his aircraft is probably a lot slow.