PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas August 23rd announcements
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2012, 23:12
Ushuaia

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Well QF94, you must only be talking to 18.4% of Joe Public. That's using the figures you presented here; they show that 81.6% of Joe Public is flying with someone else. And that number is greater than what it was 10-15 years ago. That cannot be disputed. Even after you strip out the cannibalizing of mainline by JQ, more pax ARE flying with non QF Group airlines compared to 10-15 years ago.

The reasons are complex but basically come down to: QF doesn't fly to where the pax want to go; there's a growing perception of it becoming less "Australian"; a growing perception of slipping safety standards; variable cabin experience; expensive; a dislike of the JQ alternative; a massive increase in capacity/alternative airlines. Oh, and another one: internationally they can never use their FF points when and how they want. Ask them. FF Business is a "fantastic business", just not for the pax. I am constantly hearing tales of pax abandoning QF international for SQ/EK/etc despite holding wads of FF points (they will use the points domestically instead, certainly).

That pretty much sums up what is on a passenger's mind when they think/say: "I'd really like to fly QF internationally, but I can get to Paris with EK for less money, faster and they are a good product, I hear. Oh and QF used to be the safest but, well, what about all those problems they have had recently?"

Para 2 is where QF needs to focus its "four-pillar" strategy!

Last edited by Ushuaia; 31st Aug 2012 at 00:22.