PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEATHROW
Thread: HEATHROW
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2012, 23:08
Skipness One Echo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really?? Why??? The crews can come from the UK, the ground services are UK provided and the aircraft are built in bits everywhere these days...............

And if as someone else posted Middle Eastern airlines are already siphoning off long haul traffic from regional airports why isn't our large UK based airline offering competition??

Lets face it BA have always claimed to lose money on any flight that isn't out of LHR or even on any flight anywhere period (eg London Aberdeen)
Remember that many non UK based airlines show massive preference for their own local employees and treat the rest as second class in a wayt that is rightly illegal back home. Expat employees at Qatar and Cathay are good examples and there are examples at Singapore, Korean as well as many others. Western talent is "used" and not loved as it were.
The UK airline, BA in this case is clearly offering competition in an identical way to the large middle east airlines. One stop access to the world from the UK regions via a hub. With BA it is LHR, EK use DXB, QR use DXB, EY use AUH. What you are really saying is "It's sooooo unfair that like Emirates use B777s and A380s and BA have nothing but silly wee A320s from GLA/NCL/MAN/insert airport." It's the aviation equivalent of being a size queen.....

I think the core UK domestics do well out of LHR with BA, I am not aware that any are loss making, I understand EDI does rather well and ABZ has some serious oil traffic. GLA is now a LHR monopoly with the B767 returning on some flights and MAN has lost BMI allowing BA to consolidate flights and increase yields. I suspect you are misrepresenting that BA couldn't make point to point regional flying profitable. I think that is very true alas. They couldn't swing that if the fate of creation itself depended on it.