PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 4 Ryanair aircraft declare fuel emergency at same time
Old 30th Aug 2012, 16:10
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If I understand what is going on here:

The summary of the situation is this. Ryanair SOPs require any crew that thinks it might be in a situation whereby it might land with less than the 30 minutes of emergency fuel is required to call "Mayday".

That seems to me to be an eminently sensible SOP.

There should be no shame in declaring a "Mayday" for whatever reason. It doesn't matter whether the aircraft departed with enough fuel to fly around the world but, in the final analysis, if you are going to be in a position where you think you are likely to be landing with less than (in this case) 30 minutes of fuel, the there is no alternative but to call Mayday.

If I understand the situation correctly, the Spanish authorities have so far established that one Ryanair aircraft "arrived" at Valencia with 28 minutes of fuel left in tanks. Did they dip the tanks as the aircraft turned off the runway or did they dip the tanks after the 30 minutes that it took to get on stand?

I don't know what the answer is but if all this crap is about one aircraft arriving on stand two minutes short of fuel (28 minutes), then I am bloody glad that I have retired and, in particular, that I will never have to fly into Spanish airspace ever again.