PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas August 23rd announcements
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2012, 14:28
QF94

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K9P wrote:
"Lies, damned lies, and statistics"
Isn't that how this thread started? QANTAS lose $245million, QANTAS International dragging the group down, High oil prices blamed for additional costs and lack of incoming tourists blamed on high Aussie dollar, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH........

Ushuaia wrote:
Yes, lies, damned lies and statistics is right.

You cannot just grab May 2012's figures, make sweeping statements about maintaining a double market share over the next airline and then somehow translate that into things not changing much over time. I don't have the time to drag out all the references, but yes, delving back into time: about 10-15 years ago Qantas International had a bit over 35% of the traffic out of Australia. Now it has 18%, and the Group has 26% of the traffic when you include Jetstar. So overall, over time, yes, market share has been lost.
Yes I can and I did. I used the most recent figures that are applicable to the current situation, and yes I have taken the time to peruse the previous figures and they remain fairly consistent. 10-15 years ago, we didn't have Jetstar, Scoot, Air AsiaX, Etihad, Emirates, Virgin Atlantic, Virgin Australia (international) and Tiger flying our skies. I deliberately omitted Jetstar from the statistics as I was highlighting QANTAS International's figures, not the QANTAS Group, as it is continually and clearly stated that QANTAS International is dragging the profits down and absorbing 38% Group's invested capital.

Market share has been "lost" due to the cutting back of routes or handing routes over to Jetstar or "Alliance Partners".

There are a number of reasons for this: extra capacity is one very big reason but the other reason is we have driven customers to that alternative capacity. You just have to ask Joe Public - they "used to fly Qantas but, sorry, now I am flying XYZ." I have alluded already to the reasons why QF has driven customers away.
The Joe Public I ask must be different to your Joe Public. People I speak with want to fly QANTAS wherever they can and do so, but their options are limited, and getting less, BUT they still choose to fly QANTAS.

There's no argument what AJ and Co are doing to QANTAS International, and that is stripping it back to almost nothing.

Last edited by QF94; 30th Aug 2012 at 14:31.