PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 10
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2012, 08:12
AlphaZuluRomeo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CONF iture
Where did I mean 'dangerous' – Any quote ?
Alternate law on the pitch but direct on the roll brings confusion.
Yes, direct law all the way, that crew would have been better served for all the reasons mentioned earlier.
Hang on, I never said it was a strict quote (hence my use of the "+/-"), but my understanding of your PoV (which I understand & respect). Something that bring confusion is dangerous in a cockpit.
I may differ of your PoV in a broader picture:
- I'm not sure Alt laws bring that much confusion
- I'm not sure Direct law is always the best fail mode (in AF447, it may have been, as you very well demonstrated; but this is one accident, what about other events/situations?)

The BEA did not positively report as such.
I don't know if you read french? I do, and that's simply my reading of the CVR transcript around 2 h 13 min 30.

Asking questions and trying something is not my definition of panic.
You said "IMO there was not any panic on board".
I agree that no mention of "shouts" or breakdowns are on the CVR. I agree that the crew tried until the last second to do its job.
The fact that they "tried everything", without much logic, without agreement between crew members, with the serious concern of altitude passing FL100, with the PF & PNF "fighting" for the controls, with rambling, chopped talks... is IMO symptomatic of at last some kind of panicked state. Or should I say deeply concerned?