PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - crappy situation, advise needed A320
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2012, 01:30
bubbers44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sometimes bad ATC handling puts you high and in a bind as we were coming into Seattle one day in icing conditions. I had to hold a higher power setting because of the anti icing.

They finally cleared us down on downwind in an MD80 so to make a decent approach used the speed brakes to full. The captain said don't use the speed brakes, they buffet too much so I stowed them. We are really high so he says when do you want to turn base. I said I don't know because he wouldn't let me fly with the icing conditions with speed brakes so extended about 14 miles to get down with the anti ice on and no drag. I was irritated enough I didn't care if I had to fly into Canada to turn.

In your situation I probably would have increased 20 knots and used speed brakes if ATC could authorize it. If it makes it impossible because they want you to stay slow and expedite decent just say it is one or the other.

Once you become a captain life gets so much better. Hang on. When an FO asked me which way to go or how to descend I just said I'm operating the radio, you are flying.