PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Latest CAA prosecutions
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2012, 15:58
peterh337

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The list does read a bit like a muppet parade

Re consistency, I suppose that we have very little detail so this is bound to happen. A good lawyer is going to make a big difference, as will circumstances such as cocky attitude (or the opposite).

Re that TBM non-radio landing, I am in two minds on that one. There are two parts to it.

One is the lost comms, and under IFR there are international procedures for that and, in brief, they allow you to continue the flight and land at the filed time. It is a matter of debate whether you should, on losing comms on the final approach, go around, set 7600, return to the filed IAF, and faff around flying the IAP at a time not as filed and with ATC guessing your intentions, or just land which is IMHO the right thing. You do not get this under VFR. I am very suprised the CAA prosecuted this part; airliners are going "lost comms" all the time (ask any IFR sector ATCO privately) and it is invariably due to flying off out of range (easy at 150kt never mind 500kt) or mis-setting the radio.

The other is the runway conflict. We don't know what the pilot actually saw. He said he didn't see the other aircraft, so presumably there were witnesses saying he should have seen it.