PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who's in charge - RyanAir
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2012, 13:34
lowcostdolly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to say I have found the "debate" between easyflyer and dolly somewhat enlightening as SLF.
So have I!!

I have a zero tolerance to drunks on board my flights which is in line with our company policy, the ANO's and the tokyo convention. A fellow CM has a different interpretation of these rules.

I actually have Jetset lady's approach to this issue at the outset and if they (the loud and unruly) cannot manage to sit down, shut up and buckle up on the ground they don't make into the air if I can help it. Furthermore they are told on boarding their alcohol purchases from the bar can and will be curtailed. That is an approach our Captains have never failed to back me on.

I do agree with easyflyer that there is usually the "halfway sensible" in these groups and also the complete idiots. Common ground there.

Personally I do not leave the safety and control of my cabin to the "halfway sensible" in a stag or hen party because when exactly do they loose control of said idiots in their group? Is it when they become one because we are selling to them from the bar? Or perhaps it is when they are consuming their own?

I also agree it is sometimes difficult to catch them drinking their own but if you are only selling soft drinks to them and as SCCM making the whole crew vigilent it's not that hard.

You say you don't allow pax to drink their own alchohol easyflyer but then quote the amount of empty bottles you find on turaround Personally I rarely find said empties as I just confiscate bottles from potential troublemakers and give them back on disembarking.

We have a duty of care to all of our pax on our flights which includes the minority. That also means not compromising company policy, the ANO's and the Tokyo convention.

If in doubt ask the Captain. At the end of the day they are in charge at all stages of the flight and I believe was the thread title. Thats FR or not.

At your base Captains may agree to take the loud and unruly into the air and allow you to sell to them from the bar during flight. Maybe you only "consider" telling them and quite often don't as CM.

One day that ego of thinking you "have control" of drunks on your flight as CM will come back to bite you easyflyer

My approach......hard line maybe. Effective in terms of airline safety then I don't care if it's hard line. I don't do drunks on my flights end of.

You think a divert for drunken yobs on a flight compromising safety is OTT easyflyer. Why?

That would be the only course of action for the commander had the cabin got out of control. As CM's we are expected to have control of the cabin. That includes off loading drunks.

Our approaches to this issue differ and we need to agree to disagree.

What the Passengers think though is relevant here.