PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is a PPL a benefit with BA? Glasgow Flying Club?
Old 24th Aug 2001, 00:54
Wee Ali

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hmmm.I'd think about giving GFC another try,Rossco.Don't believe any of the negative stuff written here.If you're planning to be a professional pilot surely it is better to train at a busy international airport where you will (very quickly!) get used to dealing with REAL ATC,entry/exit lanes,traffic procedures & R/T discipline.You will also get used to things like jet blast,vortex wake,being broken off approaches as bloody big jets bear down on you.(Been there,got a helluva fright,learned a lot)There is no room for crapness here!
I looked into all the local clubs very carefully before starting my PPL.I heard a few well scary stories of 'economical maintenance'/people taking off from taxiways/hours builders from hell.Didn't hear anything like this about GFC...
The very fact GFC operates where it does means that the a/c are very scrupulously maintained,as are all the relevant a/c records & documentation. Bad flying equals a wee phone call from the tower & a quiet discussion with the boss.It is just not acceptable & if that is elitist,then good.
There is absolutely NO hard sell for learners at Glasgow,although students are made very welcome & are certainly given priority over TFLs etc.Yes,it does get busy at weekends etc-personally I've found it a good time to read ops manuals & pick the brains of the other guys.
I've yet to meet single member who has been less than kind,supportive & polite & the hard work put in by the instructors is quite remarkable.Both of my FIs (both of whom are professional pilots) would often turn up after long days at work to teach their students.They could be there til' 10 or 11 at night for £15 an hour..Their dedication is quite something.I know I couldn't do it.
I haven't found Glasgow to be any more expensive than anywhere else,unless they have all dropped their rates in the past 2 years..OK,it may cost a bit more in landing fees,but I think the experience of a busy airfield more than compensates.
The only 'dodgy' thing I have ever encountered at Glasgow is the lock on the door of the ladies loo.I think that's the only time any of our lot have required 'search & rescue'...
I am intrigued by the comment that 'Prestwick has become the looneybin for Glasgow's wannabe's'.Do please elaborate! All this aside, loads of Glasgow students have gone on to very big things over the years.They are flying all over the world.Hardly what one would expect from a place 'worse than s~~~~~'
As for having to fly miles away to do any training,over the past few months I've had great fun doing PFLs from the overhead,500ft circuits,bad weather circuits,you name it..
Nah.I like GFC.I like it a lot.Give it a go!

(Sorry about all the typo's-I'm worse than useless with computers.Hope this post actually appears)
P.S-CONGRATS ON YOUR 1ST SOLO IAN!!