PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OCU and Flying Training
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2012, 13:19
Wallah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The SFC was extremely proud of the high failure rate.... Their attitude appeared to be to find all the weaker ones and get rid of them asap rather than to teach the weaker ones to be better. Evaluation rather than positive instruction seemed to be the flavour of the month.

Certainly, that was my experience of the SFC in the mid-90's, the foundation course was a 6 week assessment exercise. Once you were chopped you were, quite literally, thrown off the station. Following the final interview of the Friday you had to be off the station by the Saturday so you didn't "contaminate" the next course arriving on the Sunday. Given that the chop rate averaged well over 60% there were a lot of people frantically trying to sort out somewhere to go at very short notice (helped by copious notes left by those unfortunates from previous courses).

Looking back, as gutted as I was at being chopped, I've had a much more varied career that the few of my mates that made it though. I even had the pleasure of working with BEagle; though as a fully paid up member of the "telephone answering branch" I doubt he'll remember me (even if he did sign my leaving print TWICE!).