PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - crappy situation, advise needed A320
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2012, 13:02
A37575

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Things never change with some captains or instructors - simulator or real aeroplane. Screaming skulls are still around as this unfortunate A320 first officer found out. if nothing else, it proves that CRM and all that useless politically correct jazz is wasted on such characters because they never change.

Interestingly, I was reading a book called "From Farmyards to Beaufort Bogeys" by a former wartime Beaufort pilot who fought in the SW Pacific war. His name is Col Hobson. In it he makes scathing comment on one of his former flying instructors. In describing his early training as a RAAF trainee pilot on Tiger Moths, he wrote:

"Well, what happened was I learned to fly to the standard required and it turned out to be the biggest challenge of my life. On quite a few occasions , after a torrid sesion with an instructor, I would think `What the hell am I doing this for?' It would have been so easy to chicken out at this stage because all you had to do was deliberately fly badly for two or three sessions on Tiger Moths with an instructor, and you would find yourself transferred, preferably to a safe ground job. One particular instructor on Ansons was a pig of a man. Sharing a session or two with him he obviously thought I did not deserve to get my wings."

Col Hobson is now over 90 yet he remembers that bitter experience seventy years later. The adage "People may not remember what you did or what you said - but they will always remember how you made them feel," is as true in 2012 as it was in the 1940's.

As they grow older, most pilots have a clear recollection of "Bastards I have met" during their career whether airline, military or general aviation. The original poster is to be admired for putting his experience on Pprune.

Last edited by A37575; 29th Aug 2012 at 13:14.