PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 10
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2012, 12:31
AlphaZuluRomeo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CONF iture
Turning one of those ADR off could be one way to deactivate the protections, but turning all FCC but one off would be a radical way to switch to direct law and deactivate the protections as the same time.
Sure, and I understand you would prefer that (IIRC you are +/- advocating the Alt laws are useless, if not dangerous).
My point was: it's not the only way.

Such initiative to switch 2 FCC off without any ECAM command did not come out of the blue. I am questioning the BEA how they did not investigate this episode to find out what may be hiding behind …
Perhaps the BEA didn't investigate enough. Or perhaps they hadn't found anything consistant to write about it.
In intermediate report 2, the BEA wasn't sure if the PRIM1 and SEC1 were commanded off (by the crew) or faulted off (by the "system"). Ref IR2 §1.16.2.4.1.
With the benefit of the CVR transcript, one can conclude that PRIM1 & SEC1 were commanded off:

2 h 13 min 28,2
PNF : essaye de trouver ce que tu peux faire avec tes commandes là-haut (my note: the PRIM/SEC commands are on the overhead panel)
2 h 13 min 30,4
PNF : les primaires et cetera (my note: "primaires etc." may refer to the PRIMary and other computers)
CPT : (* fera rien)
2 h 13 min 31,5
CPT : on (fera /verra) rien

And then:
2 h 13 min 45 F/CTL PRIM 1 FAULT
2 h 13 min 51 F/CTL SEC 1 FAULT

This action also shows IMO there was not any panic on board as many like us to believe.
I disagree. The transcript show the PNF to want to "try" something with the "primary" (computers?) then the captain answering it will be no use, then the PRIM1 & SEC1 to be switched OFF.
This crew did enough "strange" actions for me to believe they were following a really logical path. It seems to be a case of "what about trying that?" (even with no clue/agreement) meaning: they didn't understand, they tried this or that, because they didn't realised the root cause of their incapability to control the aircraft (i.e. the stalled condition).