PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - crappy situation, advise needed A320
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2012, 12:21
Airmen25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crappy situation, advise needed A320

Hello again fellow aviators, i was in a crappy situation and im new, so i really appreciate some advise from the more experienced. Heres the situation, on descend, we were told to level off around FL340 and reduce speed to minimum due traffic ahead and below for sequencing. So i reduced speed to around greendot, VLS was very near as far as i can remember. Once cleared to descend, i went for open decend, we were obviously too high, but being above FL250, i was thinking hard, i cant extend gears, i cant extend flaps (FL200 limit), VLS was so near my target speed, i dare not use the speed brakes because the VLS will increase, i didn't know what to do, captain was getting pist, started shouting loudly, "Increase your speed a little and use your speed brakes!!!" i said okay capt, so i bumped up abit of speed, around 20 kts if i recall correctly, and started to use the speedbrakes gently, monitoring the VLS, at this point, Captain exploded, he yelled "SPEED BRAKES FULL!!!!, and he slammed my hand down the lever, i was like "Wow!" i was shocked and abit confused, scared because ive never seen anyone done this before. As far as i knew, part of emergency descend procedures is that after twist pull, twist pull, pull, announce FMA, speedbrakes full. Caution using speedbrakes, VLS increases significantly. But i never really studied what happens if you wack it full with VLS shooting up. Anyway, VLS shot up and speed kept increasing to remain above it. At this point i was blur as hell, i wasnt too sure what was happening. Is it ok to do that? what the captain asked me to? and can someone explain to me...what was happening please? thank you in advance