PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Warning to Pax Who Deliberately Cause Delay
Old 11th Jan 2003, 19:49
bealine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warning to Pax Who Deliberately Cause Delay

A few days ago, a lady went to check-in for a US bound flight with her two children.
"Isn't your husband travelling?" asked the check-in clerk, observing a booking for the whole family.

"Oh yes," quoth the lady, "He's working at the office and will meet us in the Executive Club lounge later."

"I'm sorry," replied said agent, "I can't check you in until the entire family is here. Obviously things in your baggage belong to your husband and if he doesn't turn up, you'll be wanting your baggage back."

"Oh no!" seethed the lady, "Let me tell you, we're Gold Card holders and everything in these bags belongs to me and even if my husband doesn't arrive, (which isn't likely) the children and me will go without him!"

Needless to say, husband turned up at check in at the time the aircraft door was due to close. Wife and children waiting at the gate suddenly decide to offload when the dispatcher denies husband travel causing 45 minute delay to flight! (Caused by having to re-open holds and re-set up handling equipment, remove igloo containers containing baggage, locate passenger's bags, readjust load sheet, re-stow baggage containers, re-close hold doors)

Husband and wife have now duly lost their Gold Card status. However, quite apart from the inconvenience to the 260 odd pax on board, a penalty charge of £300 per min for the resultant delay is charged to the airline by the CAA which, hitherto, has never been made the responsibility of the passenger.

It is likely that a policy decision will be reviewed with the strong possibility of suing passengers who wilfully and intentionally cause delay to an aircraft!