PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Skills Test - Any Tips?
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2012, 10:38
John Farley

Do a Hover - it avoids G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don’t know why but before I was even sent solo I always talked out loud about what I was thinking about or trying to do. Later I kept the habit up whenever I flew with any sort of examiner until I got too old to fly.

My point is that if one does that but makes a mess of the flying then at least the examiner knows that YOU appreciate what you should do even if you are having trouble actually doing it.

“I’m a bit close and high here but I am not going to go around because we have so much runway available so I can touch well in”

“I’m trying to get back to 60kts but don’t want to risk getting slow in these gusts”

Or whatever.

The test of which I was most proud was some 15 years ago and was to become a TRE on a particular type. I was asked to treat the examiner as if I was actually converting him to the type. So I gave the standard full brief for the type and then said “But before we go and fly there are three good gotchas in this aircraft that you will not find mentioned in the book.” I then went through them and the examiner said “Thank you. There is no need for us to fly”. Just an extreme example perhaps of my point that it is good to make sure the examiner knows what is going on in your head.