PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is a PPL a benefit with BA? Glasgow Flying Club?
Old 18th Aug 2001, 17:53
eeper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rossco,

Flying isn't everything in the BA final board. If you go all out for a PPL at the expense of other activities or your studies then it could disadvantage you.

I'm not sure what stage of studying you are at, but there are various options which will get you flying experience for very little outlay and that have other benefits. Have you looked at the air cadets or University Air Squadron. Most universities also run gliding clubs which is a good way to learn basic principles. All these organisations have active social sides and other, non-flying related activities which will stand you in good stead. As for going to the bank and taking out a loan to get your PPL, I think it shows a lot more enthusiasm if you get yourself a part-time job to finance the flying. BA and most major companies prize initiative and, even if you only manage to get a few hours, it shows that you care enough about flying to get off your a**e and do something about it.

Flying experience is not necessary for a BA cadetship, just buckets of enthusiasm.

I can't speak for any of the other flying clubs mentioned here, but I did my flying scholarship with Tayside Aviation in Dundee and I thought they were excellent. Probably a bit too far away for your purposes though.

Good luck.