PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Uganda, crew forgot to set flaps?
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2012, 22:32
con-pilot

Aviator Extraordinaire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually the lesson learned from the DFW 727 was...
When I saw the post accident photos there was something that bother me. So a few years later when I attended the NTSB aircraft accident school I brought up my inquiry.

When viewing the left front side of the fuselage, the front left main cabin door was open. That in itself would not be that remarkable, except that the way the fuselage was laying on the ground, the bottom of the door was buried in the dirt. There was no way for that door to be in that position unless it was opened before the aircraft came to a complete stop.

The Flight Attendant sitting in the jump seat next to the door swore that she did not open the door until the aircraft came to a complete stop. Then there seemed to be some confusing on just who actually opened the door.

After some reviewing all the information we had access to, we decided that the FA sitting next to door had to have opened that door before the aircraft came to a stop, but that she just didn't remember it.

I went to 727 type school shortly after that accident, you can figure out the one thing that was really drilled into us.

But you are quite correct OK, if they would have left it on the ground until they ran out of runway, then rotated, it would have flown. Same type deal with the AA DC-10 accident at ORD, if they would have just held the attitude they had, it would have flown.

But, that's all 20/20 hindsight, easy to say or write when you're sitting at a desk.