PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAA or EASA should I wait?
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2012, 11:01
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
One final factor you may wish to consider is the following, though I couldn't get any definitive answer from anybody about whether it's true or not (even from CAA). With a JAA licence, you can still add on the IMCr, which when the licence is converted to EASA will be noted as IR(R). It's my understanding that if you get a straight EASA licence, you do not have any route to tack on an IR(R), so your only route to fly in anything other than VMC would be to do a full IR.
I will try to keep this simple and comment only on the issue of new IMCr / IR(R)s to those JAR-FCL PPL(A) holders who currently do not hold one, for use on EASA aeroplanes.

Please also note that the CAA will not be processing any applications between 13 and 16 Sep 2012 whilst they change over to the new licensing system.

1. If your application is processed before 13 Sep 2012, it will be issued as an IMC rating for inclusion in your JAR-FCL PPL(A).

2. If your application is processed after 16 Sep 2012, but before 8 Apr 2014, it will be issued as an IR(R), to be included in a part-FCL PPL(A).

3. The situation regarding issue of new IR(R)s after 8 Apr 2014 is still under debate.

4. You must convert any existing IMCr into an IR(R) if you wish to use it from 8 Apr 2014. The conversion is purely administrative. If you fail to do so, you won't be able to use the IMCr privileges on EASA aeroplanes until you do convert.

The IR(R) is identical to the IMCr as regards privileges, revalidation and renewal requirements!

Last edited by BEagle; 28th Aug 2012 at 11:03.