PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAA or EASA should I wait?
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2012, 09:55
Kolossi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi BillieBob,

Thanks for those updates. Bizarre though it is I find myself preferring an anonymous internet poster over a senior management in a relevant regulator body - though with of course caveats in my own mind of wanting it in writing from CAA/EASA/whoever as mentioned in UV's post.

But perhaps then you could spare your opinion on the 7 April 2015 date mentioned by the CAA Manager? I'll accept what you said about the pilot licences and the EASA rules (until somebody proves otherwise ). But could it not be akin to the visibility requirements in VFR - the rules of the air specify one thing, but then your licence limits it further? What I mean is in this case could it be that the JAA licence itself is indeed valid for the full 5 years, but it won't actually be permitted to fly EASA-registered aircraft after 7 April 2015 on a JAA licence or something like that? I'm sure the man from CAA gave some explanation of that date at the time but I didn't note and can't recall what it was.

BTW, just out of interest (for me, as I'm sure for others here), where did you pick up the info BillieBob? I see that many of your posts on PPrune relate to regulation and are backed up with references - do you work in the field with CAA/EASA, or are you just good at finding and dissecting the docs? Unfortunately as in the visibility example above, in aviation it's often a case a a referencable document says something explicit, seeming to give a definitve answer, but another somewhere else contradicts or refines it - but it would be nice to know the provenance of the opinions that you are helpfully providing. Not meaning to doubt, just to understand. Thanks