PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots Auditorium Boycott
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2012, 09:51
Liam Gallagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cadet Instructors

Mr Slosar, during your first Pilot Auditorim you fielded some pointed questions regarding Cadet Instructors. This issue has yet to be resolved. Some years ago the incumbent DFO wrote to the pilot body highlighting the difficulties FTA was having in both recruiting and retaining Instructors and how this shortage was having a very negative impact upon the supply of Cadets to CX. To solve this problem, the incumbent DFO said that in return for a period of time served as an Instructor at Adelaide, the Cadet Instructors would receive ex-pats terms for the remainder of their CX careers. Given that the majority of the Cadet Instructors are/were in their early 20's, the dollar cost of this solution represented a very significant sum, perhaps in the order of $HK1bn over the career of these young pilots.

Questions.

1. Putting aside all the various legal issues and focussing on the Cadet Instructors as a business decision, do you think the problem of the shortage of Instructors at FTA could have been solved by other, more cost effective means, perhaps a modest increase in the fees paid to FTA to enable them to recruit and retain Instructors?

2. Given the large sums of money involved, does it concern you that such a large number of the Cadet Instructors are sons of Senior Cathay Training Captains?

Fluff Answers:

1. I am sure the DFO of the day looked at the problem and took a course of action he believed to be the best. I do not have all the facts in front of me and do not propose to "Monday Morning Quarter-back" his decision.

2. No it does not concern me as well under half of the Cadet Instructors are sons of Cathay Pilots.

Last edited by Liam Gallagher; 28th Aug 2012 at 09:55.